In honour of the Lions Tour starting tomorrow on 3rd June in New Zealand, we wanted to share our run down of the top five things to do there for those rugby fans lucky enough to be going, or even for those who are just curious about booking a future trip.
1. Huge Lord of the Rings fan? If so your trip would be incomplete without a visit to Rotorua for the Hobbiton Movie Set Tour to see where some of the series most famous scenes were filmed. A fun day out for all ages, this one’s a real winner for the whole family.
2. If you’re more into hiking than hobbits then a day at Whirinaki Forest should definitely be on the cards. This seven hour hike through one of the world’s most stunning rainforests definitely doesn’t disappoint and is graced by a wide variety of bird species and plantlife.
3. For the finest seafood New Zealand has to offer, Fleur’s Place, South Island is well worth a visit. This timber hut may not look fancy from the outside but the shellfish is to die for. Book ahead to get a table at this popular eatery.
4. Animal lovers should head to Blue Penguin Colony to see the world’s smallest penguins from the Oamaru little-penguin colony surf in the water to reach their nests in an old stone quarry. Members of the public can enjoy a full view of these little guys from stands set up around their waddle route.
5. For epic natural beauty finish off your stay with a trip to Milford Sound. Considered by many to be New Zealand’s most beautiful natural attraction, Milford Sound is the most famous fiord the islands have to offer with it stretching 16km to the sea, topped off with Mitre Peak standing 1,692 at its pinnacle.